more severe the disability, the more dependent the person is on
support mechanisms to fulfill the persons needs.
- Organisations that
with disability often take an active
role in intervention (in looking after people with high support needs),
while the community takes on a more supportive role.
- By understanding the
roles of the
Government, the community,
organisations and service providers, the buildings and finally Social
Role Valorisation (SRV), strategies and solutions can be
found so the
person has the opportunity to participate in activities and share
experiences, develop permanent connections and relationships, and have
valued relationships within each community that he/she participates in.
care for people with high support
community is not where the
person is living, but where the
person participates, shares experiences and has valued relationships
2) People with high support needs (severe disability, aged etc.)
will always need support structures as a part of their lives.
3) The amount of participation in a community (living, education,
employment or recreation) is directly related to the skills and
resources of the person, and, the skills and resources of the
community that the person wishes to participate in.
4) Institutions are going to be around in one form or another
whether we like it or not, It is the way that they are used that is the
5) The institutions of a society towards a particular group
determine the way the group participates in society.
6) The institutions of a particular government department,
profession or service define the way the person is supported within
7) Facilities that support people with high support needs do not
need to be the nursing homes or prisons in the
that they are today, but can become warm inviting community places that
offer a range of services to the community, as well as be a part of the
wider community within that society.
8) People with high support needs are a minority group in our
society, and will have the same problems as other minority groups in
being a part of society.